We are in Bangkok, the capital of Thai culinary cooking and the home of world-renowned Thai dishes. Who would know Thai cooking better than us, and where would you go to properly learn Thai cooking? We are a Thai cooking school (www.theoutlane.com). In addition to teaching tourists and aspiring chefs Thai culinary cooking skills, we also teach Thai fruit & vegetable carving. Having over 30 years of experience in operating Thai and Western restaurants, we offer our assistance to you.
NOTE: In addition to chef placement and consulting services, we also export Thai food ingredients to restaurants around the world. To learn more, just click
OUR BASIC SERVICES
PRIVATE CHEF TRAINING COURSE—5 days/week of intensive Thai cooking, basic & advanced cooking and presentation with your own Thai chef-trainer, AND you select the dishes to learn–ideal to teach non-Thai how to cook like a Thai.
Summary of what you will learn:
- Learn Thai ingredients
- Master use of Thai cookware
- Select 7-10 professional dishes/day to master
Summary of Course Details:
- Tuition: 50,000 Baht/week, deposit required upon confirmation of date desired, balance due first day of class in cash (Thai Baht or USD). Additional students @ 25,000 Baht/week.
- Deposit: Required to guarantee your seat
- Course start day: Usually Monday
- Duration: You select the number of weeks to study
- Days & times: Monday-Friday, 9:30 – onwards until all scheduled dishes are completed
- # of dishes taught: 7-10 daily
- Recipes: Provided in English for all dishes, curry pastes, sauces & dips,…
- Instruction: In English (except for Thai students)
- Diploma: A school diploma is awarded upon completion of training
- Class size: Private, one-on-one training
- Language: English (but translators are available)
- Method of Deposit Payment: Paid by Paypal, any major credit card, bank wire transfer, cash, or by ATM transfer if within Thailand
- Accommodations: Special rates are available for our school students from several 2 to 4 star hotels. Just click HERE to see some choices.
Questions: please click HERE or send an email to Ron@theoutlane.com with your comments, and we will reply shortly. You may also call us at: +66 807-706-741 (English) or +66 2-020-6233 (School–English or Thai).
Take a look at our FACEBOOK page:
TRANSLATORS ARE AVAILABLE WHEN NEEDED
NOTE: To see our various Professional Chef courses, please click HERE.
FIND A THAI CHEF FOR YOU
Let us help you find a qualified English-speaking Thai chef. This is challenging, but certainly not impossible. We have contacts in the local culinary community, and we have some of our own current and previous students. We can screen applicants for Thai cooking abilities and English-speaking skills. We even arrange Skype interviews with qualified applicants. These skills are necessary to be successful in a far-off land. This is no easy task as there are many Thai chefs here, but most have limited English-speaking skills. To learn more, click HERE.
ASSISTANCE IN OPENING YOUR THAI RESTAURANT
Our vast experience in opening and operating restaurants is available to you. We get many students (entrepreneurs) who want to learn how to cook Thai so that they can open their own Thai restaurant–not a problem. We can help here. From kitchen layout to menu layout, from Thai dishes to recipes, and from local cooks to Thai chefs, we can help you get your Thai restaurant open successfully. We can even send one of our Thai chefs to you–to prepare your menu, provide proven recipes, locate appropriate (or substitute) ingredients, AND train your cooking staff to prepare great tasting Thai dishes. Maybe you already have a cook, but you want to improve his skills. Maybe he isn’t a Thai chef, and you want us to teach him Thai cooking. Maybe it is easier to teach “one of your own” than to hire from Thailand? We can help you here too. Maybe you aren’t sure what type of Thai restaurant to open? If so, take a look at our Fast Food Thai package–just click HERE to see.
HELP IN CONVERTING YOUR RESTAURANT TO SERVING THAI CUISINE
Thai cuisine is one of the most popular dishes in the world. Not just is Thai food delicious, but it is also noted for being healthy. No wonder many restaurants are flocking to serving this cuisine. Before converting to this cuisine, a certain amount of homework is necessary, such as: changing your kitchen layout, finding the availability of Thai ingredients, selecting Thai dishes, obtaining good recipes, designing a menu, and obtaining qualified cooks/chefs. We can help you with these projects.
IMPROVING YOUR EXISTING THAI RESTAURANT
Not happy with your restaurant, business not good, competition getting the best of you, too many complaints from patrons? Maybe it is time for a “tune up”—basically, a review of your restaurant from operations to appearance, menu and dishes, recipes and ingredients, proper cooking and presentation,… All the details are important to a successful restaurant operation with repeat customers. A review by an objective third party is always a smart place to start. We can help you here, and we can make recommendations.
Authentic Thai cooking is our specialty. In Bangkok, we offer chef courses to aspiring cooks and business owners. Our extensive and professional recipes cover the most popular dishes—Pad Thai, Tom Yum Goong, Tom Kha Gai, Massaman Chicken, Panang Chicken, Green Curry,…plus many others just as delicious but less well-known. We teach the authentic art of making curry pastes in mortar & pestle—green, red, yellow, panang, massaman,… Of course, we can teach you how to prepare these curry pastes with modern-day food processors too.
Being in Bangkok, we have access to fresh ingredients–herbs, spices, vegetables, fruits, peppers, coconuts, rice, seafood,… you get the picture, right? We know that it isn’t so easy to obtain some of these ingredients in other parts of the world. We can also teach you how to use substitute foods to create a similar taste. When this can be done, you SAVE money.
TO CONTACT US FOR MORE DETAILS, please click HERE.
RESTAURANT CONSULTING SERVICES
We can provide the full spectrum of services to you in order to help get you trained and operating, OR you can select which services you want from us. Here are your choices:
1. FULL PACKAGE–from start to finish, from kitchen design to four weeks after opening, including the following:
A. Kitchen–design, equipment selection, and installation
B. Menu–dish selection, layout, recipes, ingredients acquisition, ingredients costing, dish pricing
C. Staffing–finding a qualified English-speaking Thai chef for you in Bangkok OR training your chef in Bangkok at our school (up to 4 weeks)
D. Consulting–our traveling Thai chef will be with you for 3 weeks (kitchen installation, recipes testing, training of cooks, ingredients acquisition, etc)
2. INDIVIDUAL SERVICES–If you feel confident in some of your business and culinary skills, we will be glad to help you on a piecemeal basis. Charges for our individual services are as follows:
A. Kitchen–design, equipment selection, and installation (including our chef for 1 week)…
B. Menu–dish selection, basic menu layout, recipes…
1. Finding an English-speaking Thai chef for you in Bangkok….
2. Train your chef in Bangkok for 2-4 weeks….
D. Chef Consulting—
1. Our traveling chef will work with you for 3 weeks on-site…
2. He can come on a weekly basis (with a 2 week minimum)
Additional costs: Out-of-pocket costs such as round trip airline tickets, accommodations, visas, taxis, and meals when incurred on your behalf are reimbursable to the school.
NOTE: Typically, a 50% deposit is required in advance before we perform our services. Balance is due prior to, or upon. completion of agreed task.
SOME OF OUR SERVICES WE OFFER:
BASIC THAI CULINARY SKILLS
- FOOD PREPARATION TRAINING
- Selection of quality, fresh and flavorful ingredients
- Selection of ingredient substitutes, when practical
- Acquisition of difficult-to-get ingredients
- Consistent prepping of ingredients to be cooked
- Use of coconuts and making of coconut milk and cream
- Knowledge of Thai fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, curries, pastes,…
- Preparation of numerous curry pastes, including panang, green, yellow, red, massaman, jungle, khao soy,…
- Types of rice—steamed and sticky
- Preparation of sauces, dips, and pastes
- Types of Thai noodles and substitutes
- Uses of peppers
- FOOD COOKING TRAINING
- Use of cooking equipment such as Thai woks, steamers, deep fryers, gas burners as well as various cooking utensils
- Use of recipes and adjusting for quantity of dishes being served
- Cooking of numerous Thai dishes as selected by you—soups, curries, salads, appetizers, stir-fries, deep frying, steaming, noodles, desserts,…–you pick it here.
- Use of sauces, dips, pastes, curries, coconut milk, peppers, limes,…
- FOOD PRESENTATION TECHNIQUES
- Importance of Thai fruit & vegetable carving
- Training in Thai fruit & vegetable caring
- Achieving consistency in appearance and taste
- Use of tableware to improve dish presentation
KITCHEN MANAGEMENT & PROFITABILITY
- Food costing
- Dish pricing
- Use of ingredient substitutions when feasible
- Recipe adjustments and use of less costly ingredients
- Training of cooks to minimize waste
- Training your chef to be a food and kitchen manager in order to increase your profits
- Dish selection—soups, salads, appetizers, entrees, desserts, …
- Pricing of dishes
- Training in use of recipes
- Menu design, terminology, appearance
CHEF & STAFF TRAINING
- Training of your cooks and chef at our Academy in Bangkok
- Training of your cooks and chef at YOUR restaurant
- Assistance in locating and hiring an English-speaking Thai chef from Bangkok
- Interviewing and testing of your chef applicants
- Arranging Skype interviews with qualified applicants
There are 150 hotels and hostels in our area. We have special deals with several nearby hotels/hostels.
These are the major services for which we perform assistance. Others are also available. We are here in Bangkok waiting to hear from you. To contact us, just E-MAIL US or send an email to: Ron@theoutlane.com. We can also be reached by Skype: Bangkokthaicookingacademy (by appointment only).